Saturday, July 24, 2010

An Arresting Story

Coming back to the US from my first trip abroad alone, I was let off at the airport in Stockholm. I was fairly heavily laden with luggage, and pushing my wheelchair was slower going than usual.

Two young men, who appeared to be about 16, and were dressed in blue berets and short blue slacks, came over to me, their faces wreathed in smiles. "Can we help you?" they asked.

"Yes, please. I need to find my airline," I replied, showing them my ticket, and wondering who they were.

Off we set, me holding the luggage and the two of them in back. Some of the passers-by gave me sidelong, skeptical glances, but I attributed those to my wheelchair. As my benefactors and I progressed through the airport, I decided that I really needed to know who they were.

"Are you with Traveler's Aid?" I asked, somewhat tentatively.

"Oh, no," they chortled. "We're the police!"

No comments:

Post a Comment